11 April 2007

Stellen-bish-bash-bosch

Using my trusty Pinotage wheel (ok, so this is the first time I've used it)www.wynboer.co.za/imagesart/aroma_e.html I have decided that this South African, Beters Truter 2005 Stellenbosch is plum or perhaps red cherry - I'm doing this in real time folks...and now I'm going to turn over the bottle and see how it is described....BLACKBERRY!

Well, I tell ye, given that it's GRAPES first and foremost, I don't think that's a bad stab at getting it right.

Anyway, I think it is the most unusual tasting grape I've had so far. This is a straight Pinotage without any other grapes and compared with other wines it is very ... savoury and full bodied. Rich and substantial. Very good.

2 comments:

Peter F May said...

Glad the wheel is of use*. I'm not sure which wine you are tasting. Last time it as Beyerskloof 2005 (which is made by Beyers Truter) but he also supplies the major supermarkets, so there is (for example) a Tesco's Finest Beyers Truter 2005 on sale at moment, but the current vintage of Beyerskloof is 2006.

If you're near a Morrisons look out for their 'Best of' Pinotage; that is an estate wine from Bellevue -- see http://pinotageclub.blogspot.com/2007/03/bellevue-chimes-for-morrison-it-is.html

*If you want to get in touch with me I can post you a proper wheel.

kumquat said...

It was called Stellenbosch if that distinguishes it at all.