12 May 2009

Hike for the Homeless.

           
As planned, I did a sponsored hike on Saturday to raise money for the King's Arms Project supporting the homeless of Bedford. As not planned, the 20 mile r
oute became 22 miles between signing up and starting on the day. Sneaky!


For the first 7 miles I was on my own and read a good 60 pages of my current book; 'Number9dream' by David Mitchell. The first 14 miles of walking were pretty easy. Kept up a good pace and was mostly enjoying myself. There were some beautiful views along the way.




Around the 14 mile mark my feet went from uncomfortable to incredibly painful and the last 8 miles were agonising. Ankles up I was fine but I sustained a big bruise on the side of my foot and blisters pretty much everywhere else. Thankfully I wasn't particularly tired or achy but the feet really made it miserable going. Every step was an effort. 

We had 2 main stopping places. At the first I was fine and just got my official stamp and marched on. At the second one, I had coffee and foot massage with lots of cream! From that point on I was just looking to the horizon and willing Bedford to appear.


It was a great moment when I finally sat on my 'ped to head back home. The next day however was a bit of a shock as I discovered I was incapable of weight bearing! 3 days on from the event now and I can walk again though there are still blisters and the bruise but it's all for a good cause, right?!

No comments: