12 May 2009

Guerrilla Gardening

Took my sunflower seedlings out to where Monty and I walk every day and planted them out in a fairy circle of 8 with one in the middle. I really liked how they looked. 






The soil I chose is in a grassy area close to the
 river that is always very damp underfoot so I thought that would give them a good fighting chance of taking. I settled them in with a bit of potting compost then stood back to survey my handiwork.

Earlier in the afternoon I had 'harvested' the stems of some juicy weeds that grow vigorously in my garden, thinking that once dried they might make excellent stakes to support the sunflowers once they grow a little. I don't know if they will become brittle or strong once dried so I'll give it a go and see how it goes. I have them wedged behind a pipe outside my front door for the sun to dry them out.



Unfortunately, after this otherwise very pleasant sortie, my dog was then attacked by another dog who tore a chunk out of his throat and has landed him in the vets for an operation and overnight stay. I am really upset by this incident but also very angry at the dog's owner who didn't have him muzzled or on a lead and couldn't call the dog off. The vets have just called me to say that he was really lucky as the bite was very close to his jugular but that the operation went well and he should be able to be out tomorrow but might be a bit lame after everything has settled down.

No comments: