11 July 2006

HOW RUDE

it would have been funny if we hadn't all been so seething at this pompous customer.

i join the conversation as he's looking down his nose disparagingly at my colleage and saying "you don't know what it is do you?"

ebooks

he's come into a bookshop to buy an ebook. yes folks, you heard right. i stepped in - i couldn't help it, the man was a fool and he was trying to belittle my staff - and i told him what an ebook was and that he would have to find them online. "well," he replies, "i don't have internet access". i point out that internet access is required. he responds; "well that's no use to me is it?" no sir, i'm thinking, and that's because you're a laughable buffoon who thinks he can belittle girls behind a counter with insisting they bring him the impossible, oh excuse me while i just go and consult the tooth fairy about this one. in fact i say "then i don't think we can help you any further on that request". NEXT he moves onto maps. again he asks for something that doesn't exist and looks at me with disdain as i show him what is on offer. "well that's a street map, not exactly a map is it" On and on he goes with his rudeness until I decide to hack him down as politely as i can given that i want to blow my nose on his tie and say "That is the extent of our range I'm afraid".

what makes people like that?

i mean take this blog entry for example, not a hint of vitriol or invective about it!

3 comments:

David DeRosa said...

Well I, for one, am impressed with your calm, cool, and collected response. Remember, ignorance is it own reward.

big uni town boss said...

The public, bless 'em all - how we love them. I wish I'd been there if only for the look on your face.

Mrs BUTB tells, with a tear in her eye, of the customer who asked to see crucifix pendants but insisted on having one without 'the little bloke on it'.

kumquat said...

LMAO!!!!!! Probably a Mail reader!!!!!